Monday, September 19, 2005

Truth and Love

This weekend I thought a lot about the balance of Truth and Love and how these two virtues are often times at odds with each other.

I think it's most obvious when looking at the extremes of politics in America. Republican extremists (conservatives) are all about "Truth" and have the impression of banging it into everyone, and Democrat extremists (liberals) are all about "Love" and want to make sure that not one person is unloved/uncared for in the country even at the expense of what is right.

In looking at our own personal lives, I see that everyone tends to lean to one of these virtues more than the other. I look at myself and can see how I tend to lean more towards Love than Truth. If I'm honest with myself, I see spots of my life where I was willing to give up some Truth in favor of Love. I didn't want certain people to not feel good about themselves so I was willing to overlook some things that were not good/honest/right.

The most intersting part about Truth and Love being at odds with each other is that it shouldn't be this way. Truth should not be at odds with Love, instead Truth should be wrapped in Love. I think that a person who speaks the Truth with Love is able to set things straight while building a person up and giving them dignity about doing right.

I want to be that person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home