Thursday, August 25, 2005

When I was your age....

This morning I was flipping through radio stations on the drive through hell (the 375) on my way to work and I came across Mr. Seacrest's morning show. Ry gives out random shit, uh, like, every damn day, and right now he's planning to deck out some whiny school kids on their way back to school. So, in his quest to figure out exactly what teenagers want these days, he started reading all kinds of polls and research.

And Ry found a list -- I don't remember where it was from, and I can't find it on the net -- of the top 10 goodies kids are asking their parents to buy them. Some of the items topping the list -- Chanel Bronzer (WTF?!), True Religion jeans (NO!), the Motorola Razr (you've got to be kidding me), Pumas (one of the better ones)...I was waiting for him to list Mercedes Benz models and prime property locations.

What the hell is with kids today?!

Ok, let me preface the rest of this by saying that I know some of the people reading this have kids and I have NO IDEA how you raise them in this kind of environment! I have the utmost respect for all of you.

What makes children think they can ask their parents for CHANEL BRONZER?! I'll admit that when I was growing up I had it pretty good. My parents tried to do the best for me and my brother, and I'd say they did a wonderful job. Granted, we're both a little spoiled, but we're humble enough to appreciate the things we've been given.

But really, the way children are going these days I'm starting to doubt if I want to bring any into this world. I was 98% sure I wanted kids, and now I just don't know anymore. What happen to respect? Do you know how many kids I see running amuck while parents stand by and chat with neighbors, pick out peaches in the grocery store, try to calm crying siblings, etc.? Since when was it ok to ask your parents for top-of-the-line cell phones so you can talk to your mid-pubescent boyfriend about absolutely NOTHING of consequence?

I know I really have no right to be talking because I don't have kids and I don't understand the pressures of raising them, but...I do know that, yes, kids get crazy and cranky and pushy and just plain bitchy; but I also know that some are much, much worse than others and most times I just end up wondering who the hell raised those assholes?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home